1. Drinking Milkshakes made with syrups etc on a daily basis. Rooh Afza ;(
– Why: It contains high amounts of sugar, additives and colourants
– Solution: If you have to, drink it twice a week maximum
2. Drinking large amounts of water at iftaar time
– Why: Filling the stomach with water is more strenuous to it than with food.
– Solution: have a few sips at iftaar then a glass after every two hours.
3. Exercising directly after iftaar.
– Why: the body’s blood flow is concentrated around the stomach at that time.
– Solution: Exercise after two hours of eating to ease digestion.
4. Chewing and swallowing food fast.
– Why: chewing food slowly can speed up digestion and help maintain your weight
5. Having dessert directly after iftaar
– Why: they make you drowsy and sleepy
– Solution: leave at least a two hour gap between iftaar and dessert to stay fresh and awake for ishaa and taraweeh prayers
6. Consuming foods with high amounts of sodium
– Why: Sodium triggers thirst through out the fasting hours of the day
– Solution: instead, eat foods that are high in potassium, they retain water and supress your thirst.